The Highlands of Scotland . . . and “the last great wilderness of Europe”. Centre yourself in this beautiful, rugged and romantic land in the very heart of “the outdoor capital of the UK”.
Welcome to Glencoe Valley. As you come north from civilisation, you cross the wild uplands of Rannoch Moor. Then the route starts to drop and having passed Glencoe Mountain Resort and the lonesome Kingshouse Hotel, you descend steeply, with the road winding into the majestic Pass of Glencoe.
History is all around you here, and it’s difficult not to feel the eerie wonder that makes this location so famous. Hear stories of the Massacre of Glencoe or talk to locals about the filming of Harry Potter in the glen. You may stop in Glencoe to enjoy one of the many varied walks available, or press on to the famous Clachaig Inn to sample the legendary walkers atmosphere.
Base yourself on the Dragon’s Tooth Estate, and you are well placed to explore so much of the Highlands. This is a natural centre, with routes radiating to offer days of varied exploration.
Head westwards and discover the most magical land that is Ardnamurchan. This remarkable peninsula has the quality and peace of an outer island, yet is just an easy hop from Glencoe. Further west you will discover the Harry Potter Steam Train, Glenfinnan Viaduct & Monument, Mallaig and from here, go over the sea to Skye.
And to venture North? Exploring the Great Glen will lead you at first to Fort William and then beyond, Loch Ness, the monster, Fort Augustus and Inverness.
We present below some useful links, should you wish to discover more.
- OCUK Lots of information on The Outdoor Capital of the UK here. What to see, do and explore.
- Discover Glencoe Our local marketing group has a great site, packed with information on the area.
- Ballachulish TIC The local tourist information office: plus a cafe, shop and generally good place to go!
- VisitScotland National Tourist Board site.
- Welcome to Scotland Landmark publications manage this good overview of things Scottish
- Glencoe Scotland The famous Clachaig Inn of Glencoe maintain this powerful site, full of interest and local information
Partner Accommodation Providers:
- Loch Leven Hotel (Great local inn, with really good bar meals and just an easy walk away)
- Onich Hotel
- Ballachulish Hotel
- Isles of Glencoe Hotel
- Birchbrae Lodges (stylish accommodation, offering COMPLIMENTARY golf at Dragon’s Tooth)
- Lodge on the Loch
Offers & Packages ...
Special Things over the Summer with Glencoe Activities
£30 OFF per lovely lodge per night! Stay just 2+ nights and save. (Stay 4+ nights and it's £40 OFF PER NIGHT!)
Explore the wonderful Glencoe area in the sparkling summer, and at the end of a glorious day in the wonderful "outdoor capital of the uk", tumble into your luxurious bed for deep slumber under that gorgeous…